- Category: Kasama
- Created on Tuesday, 23 November 2010 12:06
- Written by Mike Ely
Several have asked me to post this: This Kasama discussion site recently passed 2.5 million page views.
This means that Kasama posts have been accessed that many times since the site was created -- and it means we will pass 3 million page views sometime shortly after the end of our third year.
- Many people have made this site possible -- and you all know who you are. Thousands of people have shown such great interest in our work, our discussion, and the larger common cause of liberating humanity. This milestone reflects (in a modest initial way) that larger interest in a common determination to unite for radical change.
- We urge all this site's supporters to actively find the ways to help the site reach a whole new level: Especially by reposting and circulating our core discussions, and using social media (reddit, stumble, Facebook, twitter, and more) to help us reach new audiences. I personally see no reason that we can't increase our attendance and support (say) 10 times -- but it requires quite active and ongoing circulation of the site's best content.
- And we again urge our many devoted lurkers (1,000? More?) to think through ways to enter the discussions -- with questions, contributions, suggestions of articles, discussions of experiences and statements of opinions.
- Finally, there is a great deal of work to do in the core Kasama Project. If you have a high degree of unity with our goal of reconception and regroupment -- in the cause of rebuilding a revolutionary movement and a communist core -- then contact us for participation in the Project network itself. We are at this point a network of communists (both as individuals and early collectives) -- not a tightly wound cadre structure. We have collectivities that work on our podcasts, newsletters, moderation, theoretical work, study groups, outreach, local communist work, translations and more. If you have a high level of unity with this project - reach out to discuss joining in.
Understanding the Stats
A breakdown of what 2.5 million page views means:
As many people know, each "page view" does not mean (of course) that the post and its commentaries were read (each time it was viewed). The number of "page reads" is naturally more modest, and impossible to sharply quantify.
But here are some accompanying ways to put it in perspective:
We average about 3,000-4,000 page views a day (depending on the period you sample). It has been closer to 4,000 in the most recent period.
- A third of such page views are simply arriving at of our homepage (so don't actually constitute a "reading" of content beyond watching a video or reading the opening paragraphs. And at least a third are probably "quick on, quick off" of various kinds (people coming, for example, from google).
- I suspect a third of the views involve some engagement with the content -- rough guess, 1,000 page reads on a good day.
- Over almost three years we have had over 2,500 posts and over 22,000 comments.
- Our ratio of posts to comments has remained pretty steady at about 9 comments (on average) to each post -- which is high for public discussions of this kind.
- When we adopted our new domainname "kasamaproject.org" in January 2010, we had a sharp expected drop in page views (about a third) as Google attendance stopped overnight.
- However aside from that major drop, the trendlines in attendance and viewing have generally held steady, with perhaps a bit of continuing climb over time. Over this year (for example) our monthly page views have gone from our low point of 64,000 in January to 105,000 in October.
Here is a glimpse of our most popular posts.
For those interested: The use of SEO techniques in the creation of our site and posts has been important in generating traffic far beyond the usual and expected circles.
Few people are using stumbleupon and reddit to promote Kasama yet (more people promote Kasama discussions on Facebook, with important results). Those using these social media are having a significant impact on drawing new viewers. (We urge more people to support the site by tapping into social networking -- especially stumble and reddit, which seem to have strong responses when tapped... suggestion: each promote one likely broad-interest post a day?)
About a third of our traffic is generated using such forms of promotion (Google SEO and social media combination).
As you can see, for example, some of our top articles draw attention almost exclusively because of Google image search (for example the Minotaur and Greenland articles), others benefit from a mixture of interest in their images and content (our article on Transformers, District 9, Che Guevara and Puerto Rican independence).
And some pages (like "About Kasama," Pamphlets, Polemics, History) are a measure of traffic generated simply by radical interest itself.
Rough numbers for top downloaded printable pdf pamphlets:
Nine Letters Response (by RCP) 1,213 9 letters to Our Comrades (Print Version) 522 9 Letters to Our Comrades (low rez Print Version) 953 Arundhati Roy: Walking with the Comrades 889 Exchange of Letters between Nepali Maoists and the RCP,USA - 2 Lines, 5 Letters 569
Downloads of the 9 Letters to Our Comrades (combining our two pamphlet pdf formats): 1,475 Visitations to the HTML web version of the 9 letters to Our Comrades: 30,810
If anyone has further questions of detail and stats, please feel free.